Vetting of a TenantPosted 13.09.17
The Association in conjunction with Val Mildert has a vetting service set up for members of Gateshead Private Landlords Association. This service can be used to vet potential tenants for members for their properties both in and outside the Gateshead Borough. It is an extensive vetting which includes:
- Credit Check – They will check if the applicant has County Court Judgements, has been bankrupt or insolvent
- Employment Check – checking the amount they claim to be earning
- Previous Landlord/Letting Agents checks – They will establish if there has been any problems in any previous tenancies.
- Affordability – Their assessment of the applicants ability to afford the rent
- Right to Rent – The application form asks the necessary questions with regards to the right to rent, the tenant must advise on the application what form of ID they have, the landlord will be informed what documentation they must see and take a copy of at the signing of the agreement.
While there is no cost to the landlord for carrying out the referencing there will be a non-refundable charge of £35.00 to the tenant which will be payable prior to the referencing commencing. Unless the member wishes to pay it themselves.
We have a dedicated person overseeing and carrying out the vetting work. The details she will need to process this are:
- Full Address of Property to be Let
- Length of tenancy Required
- Applicants Full Name, Telephone number and email address
Once Sonia has the information she will contact the tenant with various options to make payment, once payment has been made we instruct Van Mildert to commence the referencing process. They will contact the tenant direct. Once the reference has been completed, the results are emailed to you for you to make an informed decision on whether or not you accept the tenant.
The turnaround for the references various, as it always depends on how quick employers, previous landlord etc. return the information, but you will be kept informed of the progress and what information is outstanding.
Sonia can be contacted on 07445122670 or by email at email@example.com
Sonia’s hours of work are Monday – Friday 9.00 – 1.00 if you do not get any reply, please leave your name and contact number and she will get back to you as soon as possible.
REMEMBER – ENSURING YOU HAVE A GOOD TENANT AT THE START OF THE TENANCY CAN SAVE YOU A LOT OF MONEY, HEARTACHE, HASSLE AND COURT COSTS AT THE END OF THE TENANCY.